Thursday, December 1, 2016

Honeymoon to Hostile

Honeymoon to Hostile 9/4/2016

     In the beginning, my semester abroad felt a lot like vacation. Everything was so new and so exciting: the people, the food, the music and the adventures. Nothing felt uncomfortable, I was happy to ditch my old routine, my list of things to do and I enjoyed stepping out of my comfort zone. I was on my own little honeymoon and I was laughing at all of the silly, adorable idiosyncrasies of my new culture. Right around 3 weeks my honeymoon stage abruptly ended and I entered the hostile stage.
     I found myself craving a meal that I could devour without having to worry about crunching on a bone or an eyeball, I wanted food that I recognized, I wanted food that I could cook in MY kitchen. I began to miss MY bed. I missed hot water and lingering in the shower. I missed regular bowel movements. I missed driving, I missed going where I wanted, whenever I wanted. I missed working out in MY gym!!!!!! I didn't necessarily feel "homesick," I felt "comfortsick." Everything and anything that was routine or comforting in my life back home didn't exist here. 
     My basic needs, such as; eating, sleeping, working out, hygiene and sense of social connection had all been completely disrupted. I found myself feeling very displaced. Back home my schedule was booked out days in advance. Here I was not working, my school schedule was less demanding, I didn't have a house to take care of. I was not used to having so much free time. I needed more purpose!       


No comments:

Post a Comment