Friday, August 5, 2016

Taking the First Step





Taking the First Step 7/31/2016

     Jenny Knox here. A few years back I decided to take the snow-globe that I resided in and shake the hell out of it. I applied for a visa to Australia. I was going to learn to surf & dive and I was going to backpack around Australia for a year! I was thrilled by the idea, but quickly realized that although this would be the adventure of a lifetime, where would I be at the end of the year, other than broke? That is when I decided to put my time and money to better use and finish that degree I had always desired. I applied to Northern Arizona University and was accepted. Little did I know, my life was about to change forever. 
     I packed my bags and moved to Flagstaff, Arizona where I didn't know a single person. During my time at NAU I have always felt that my advisor and every single teacher I had was genuinely concerned about my success and happiness. I was meeting with my advisor when I told her how I had planned on backpacking Australia, that is when she suggested a study abroad program. What?! Finish my degree and travel, could this be possible?  Fast forward a year and a half later; I have a 4.0 GPA and I will be spending my last semester studying at the University of Ghana in AFRICA! Africa, A dream I had forgotten all about while I was living in my snow-globe.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment