Friday, April 28, 2017

Hindsight is 20/20 Part 1

Hindsight is 20/20 Part 1 10/31/2017

    I need to take a moment and thank my home university, Northern Arizona University. It was their amazing staff that inspired me and assisted me on the path of pursuing the biggest dream of my life. I would also like to thank GO scholarship. I have kept a journal for 5 years now. I have never missed a day. GO scholarship asked me to create a blog and I'm glad they did. I was inspired to create more of a keepsake in addition to my journals and it is so easy to share not only with my university, but with my family and now the friends that I have worldwide. Here is a list of questions and prompts for my Go scholarship. 
(one of the top 2 moments of my entire life, showering in the rains of Africa.)
Why did you choose to study abroad? As a child I remember hearing stories of my cousin Bill's world travels. I only met him a few times in my whole life and that was because he was always bopping around the world. Bill was my inspiration to travel. I was too scared to travel to Africa all on my own, so it made sense to travel through a study abroad program. 
Why did you choose your study abroad program/destination? I always knew I wanted to go to Africa, I was happy to go anywhere I could. I traveled to Africa through the USAC program. This program appealed to me because they will hold your hand as little or as much as you need. This was a huge endeavor for me so I was grateful for all of the support I received.   
How are you preparing for your study abroad experience? This was the hard part. There were a handful of times that I wanted to throw in the towel and cancel my trip to Ghana. I was working full-time and saving as much money as I could. I was in school full-time. I got rid of everything I owned, except for what I could fit in my Jeep. I had to put my life on hold for four months. This was not an easy thing to do.
What do you want to get out of this experience? I was looking for a challenge, I was looking to grow, I was looking for the adventure of a lifetime. 
What are you most looking forward to? The unknown! 
What are you most nervous about? I was most nervous about getting there. I felt so overwhelmed with everything in life, I could only focus on the next step.
What are your goals? My goal was to have no expectations and to make an effort to be mentally present during my grand adventure.
What do you want to do with your time abroad? I just wanted to be selfish and focus on myself. I wanted to marinade in every moment.
While in the host country tell us about a challenge you faced while studying abroad, how did you overcome it? How do I narrow it down? I wasn't on vacation, I had to learn how to function and live my life in a developing country. Every moment of every day was a challenge. Honestly though, the biggest challenge was adjusting to how classes were run in Ghana. In the states you receive a syllabus on the first day of class and every single assignment and expectation is spelled out for you. At the University of Ghana it was totally different. The teacher's don't show up for the first two weeks... Most assignments were assigned by word of mouth... Sometimes the meeting place of the classroom would change and you would have no idea until you show up and you were the only one there... I learned really quickly that I can stress about these struggles or I could just roll with the punches. Either way, the situation will get resolved. Everything always works out. It's a true story. I learned to go with the flow, it was a lot easier then having the American state of mind where you're constantly stressing about every detail of every day. This go with the flow attitude is something I am trying to apply to my life now that I'm back stateside.
What advice would you give to others experiencing the same challenge? Honestly, just roll with it. Things may not always go as expected, but that's OK. Maybe you'll have some new experiences that will open your eyes to other ways of doing things.
Your favorite or most interesting cultural experience while abroad?
Kindness and generosity. I had an adventurous group of friends and every opportunity we got, we escaped the big city and explored the more rural villages. In these villages the people have nothing. They reside in homes made of mud that wash away about every 5 years. They have a shared well. They don't have electricity. But, they have gigantic smiles and kindness in their hearts. Ghanaians are so proud of their rich culture and they are so happy to share it. They will share their food, their homes, their music, their dance, everything. They have less than anyone I've ever met stateside and are by for the most generous people I've ever met.
 What's your commute like from home to class? It was a long, hot walk that I miss now that I'm home. Jumping over Obruni traps, dodging tro tros, hearing music, watching athletes practice their sports. Passing the night market and visiting the woman with the crazy hair and buying fresh fruit from her and getting a hug from her beautiful daughter Gloria.
 What do you hear/see/smell on the way? Along the way I heard traffic, music, laughter and birds, tons of birds. I saw people doing life, like anyone else. People working, growing, socializing, people helping one and other, the people are my favorite, everything about them is so beautiful. I smelled polution, sad but true. Many peole burn their garbage because there are not a whole lot of other options for waste managment.  
 What's your living space like? Life changing. I came with only one suitcase. I had the least amount of possessions and the smallest amount of space I'd ever lived in and it was the best! I wanted for nothing and it was easy maintaining such a small space. I did pay extra and get a private room. Best decision ever!!! I love people and I am super social, but I love my alone time. Daily life was very stimulating and great, I really appreciated my quiet time at the end of the day. Another part I loved about Ghana was that every building structure was directly connected to the outdoors. My windows were just slats of glass that opened up to outside. There was no blocking the sun, wind or rain out completely. I was always connected to nature. 
Who do you live with? In my hostel I lived with all international students, many of which I will always consider some of the most dear friends I've ever had. But... in my room I am alone and so happy with that.
How is your home abroad different from your home in the US? As a returning student, I am older, I have owned several houses. This was actually my first time living in a dorm setting. That being said, I cannot tell you how grateful I was that I decided to get my own room. It was honestly really refreshing to be removed from the responsibilities of being a homeowner for a little while. I did miss refrigerators, I missed hot showers. I missed reliable electricity. I missed the internet. But at the same time, I was happy to be freed of those things and I was happy to be present in my life rather than hiding behind all of the typical amenities in my American life.
What did you pack that you wish you'd left behind? Bug spray and sunscreen. Even on safari I NEVER used either of them. Maybe I had four mosquito bites the whole time and I even cowboy camped while I was on safari, no tent, no sleeping bag, I just slept on the rainforest floor. Best life moment ever!!! Looking back, perhaps not the safest life choice ever. As far as the sunscreen, I'm pretty pasty, I was super close to the equator and for some reason, I never got burnt. Ha, maybe it had to do with all of that pollution from burning garbage.
What do you wish you'd packed? I wanted for nothing while I was there. I was really enjoying the "less is more" thing. And, there was a mall about 20 minutes from campus, so if I "needed" anything I could just go there.
Does your host culture have a different concept of time or space than you're used to? Absolutely, neither of them exist there. Time is only a suggestion and personal space isn't a thing either. People will touch you just because you have white skin. You are crammed on a tro tro sandwiched in between a whole bunch of super sweaty people. I miss it. Stateside people are afraid to touch one and other. Call me crazy, I miss constant physical connection to other people and to the outdoors.
What's your favorite food you've tried so far? I am not a picky eater and my stomach is tough as nails! I was not a fan of the food there. Maybe that's because I am hungry all the time and I eat all the time. I workout a ton and I want to get as many calories into my body as quickly as I can. I don't want to be slowed down by bugs in my food, bones, mysterious, identifiable bits of matter, cow hide, "bush meat"(whatever that is?), and so on. That being said, the avocado was life changing, pineapple stateside is now ruined for me. I never knew I loved coconut so much.
What have you accomplished while abroad that makes you proud? I crushed two life goals; I finished college and I got the opportunity to live in Africa, if only for a moment. It's something I wanted my whole life.
How do you spend your free time? This is a common thread in my life. I feel that everyone has that one thing in which they excel; some people are really great at math, some people have a great sense of direction, some people are savvy with finances, whatever it is, most people have their area of specialty. Mine is my ability to connect with others. I pride myself in my ability to attract amazing people into my life. The first day I arrived in Ghana, I met the friends that would very quickly become some of the best friends that I ever did have. They loved to play cards and board games, they loved to explore, travel and take chances. They loved to laugh, they loved doing the unusual, and they loved doing stupid things with me, like getting matching tattoos from a shady parlor behind a restaurant on my birthday, not sketch at all... having survived it all, I say it was well worth it and my experiences were all that much better because I was able to share them with some pretty stellar folks. 
Is it different from what you would do in the US? Yes and no. Stateside, I am always looking for any excuse to get the heck out of Dodge and disappear into nature. I feel like in the states, it's a bit more safe to wander off on my own. I did miss my alone time in the wilderness while I was overseas. I'm sure I could have gone off on my own and been just fine, but I'd rather be smart and not take the chance of having had ending up in a compromising situation. 
Are you making progress with the language? I love language. I have studied both French and Spanish. I am pretty confident in my ability to pick up new languages. A part of me is sad that I did not even try to learn the language, but I did get along just fine without taking a  Twi language class. I know that I missed out in some regards because learning a new language adds a ton of beautiful insight into a new culture. I know the only reason why I didn't sign up to study Twi was because of time. I wanted to spend as little time as possible in a classroom and as much time as possible in the culture and local community. I know I could have gained something by actually studying the language, but I know that my adventurous attitude and adventurous group of friends afforded my so many learning opportunities that I would have never gotten inside of a classroom. 
What are you learning in class? So, I feel like you could study math in any country in the entire world and the rules are the same. One and one will anyways make two. However, studying social work at my home university and in a developing country... holy smokes!! I cannot even begin to cover all of the discrepancies. I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally charged about basic human rights in my whole life. The things that are just simple, common place things in life in the US vs daily struggles and injustices in Ghana. I really cannot get into it, it's the longest laundry list you'll ever see, but I can guarantee it'll make you appreciate home that much more.
What are you learning outside of class? Time is what you make of it. It can dictate every moment of your life, or you can be present in every moment of it. I've been home nearly 6 months and the world's most punctual gal ever has graciously submitted to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment